Kids like to have fun, and we need lively and meaningful classroom activities. Today I noticed students enjoyed charade very much, meanwhile, they learnt and practiced and did great team work.
So I am thinking to explore more classroom activities from TV shows, many popular TV shows have great games, and they are tested, have a clear rules. So we can borrow it and make some adjustments according to students situation.
And in that temple, I noticed several kids were playing hangman, then we teachers talked we can use it in Chinese classroom to practice pinyin or something. So games kids enjoy could incorporate into our teaching and learning activities. No matter where games come from, as long as kids like them and be helpful to their learning.
Chaos might be productive, noise might be opportunities. This touched me, because my color is blue, I value students’ ideas and feelings. Sometimes too much attention to students’ individual needs might cause chaos. So I am trying to make my classroom lively and organized. So, in the class, teacher can design a framework for regular activities, make students build a classroom routine. So, even the activities are different, students can follow certain routine. The purpose is to make chaos productive, and “noise” opportunities.
I am going to make some routines like how to group students and how to cooperate and have clear task in team work, what to do to solve problems by themselves, so students enjoy chaos and noise and teachers can facilitate effective learning.
My reflection 2-26
What impressed me most today is the importance of students’ response and feedback. Teacher has to make sure instructions and classroom language are comprehensible to students. And make it easy and clear. Keep consistency. Sometimes, teachers are busy teaching and forget students’ feelings and response (maybe a student get bored, maybe a student can not hear, maybe two students are confused but they don’t say it because they think that is embarrassing, but you can tell by their facial expression.) So, an experienced teacher would notice individual student’s response, even though that student didn’t tell in words. So I am going to try from the following aspects to get students’ feedback and response more efficiently and meet students’ needs:
- Keep classroom language and instructions consistent.
- Adjust activities timely according to students’ response.
- Know students more, their learning style, their color and personalities.
今天，很有收获的地方是徐老师教西班牙语，TPRS的用法。对我教dual language 很有启发。
下学期，我在dual language 的项目中，会学习老师的这种做法。因为，很多孩子进来，不懂中文，全时间的听中文和说中文对他们来讲将是很大的挑战。TPRS可以很好的帮助学生获得大量的语言输入。逐渐让他们习惯中文环境。这都一点对我和学生非常有帮助。
My wow moment today was skills to make clear instructions in target language. Creating an authentic Chinese language speaking environment is huge important even to very young or beginning learners. When making instructions, I will consider the following ways:
1. By demonstrating (teacher) the activity, just show students what will happen, for those more complex ones, teacher can show the procedures first, and then ask students who have got it to show it again or explain to the class.
2. Video. Recording video when students are on task is a good way for centers. For example, red group did an activity on Monday, teacher can film students. And show it on Tuesday before green group are supposed to do the same activity. So students can watch it and have some fun because they can see their friends in a video!
3. Incorporate pictures and flash in PowerPoint, so teacher needn’t to explain.
4. Body language and a lot of gestures, and encourage students to assist or offer peer help.
- pre-task. 这个环节非常重要，要根据任务设计一些合适的活动，让学生有知识和词汇的准备。比如，要去中国商店买东西之前，可以先模拟可能出现的情况，在课堂上先练习，讨论可能出现什么情况，会怎么解决。
- while task. 老师要发挥引导作用，不过度干涉，进行有效引导。并提醒学生规则，比如说目标语言，行为的得体性。
- after task. 活动或任务完成后，要根据学生在任务中的反应和需求进行针对性教学。这个时候教学效果会不错。再一个是评估（可以使用不同形式，在不同的时间实施），和反思，老师的反思和学生的反思。问，明年，下一个年级的学生也要做这个活动，你作为有经验的人，会给他们什么建议？对老师有什么建议？等等。